Sunday, March 4, 2012

DIY Clothing Labels

Having a custom tag on your handmade goods takes your item from ordinary to extraordinarily personal. It adds a touch that separates you from others because your logo stands out. A while back I started looking online for embroidered clothing labels and after the logo set up fees and crazy high minimums the prices were just not in my budget at the time. I found this tutorial online and decided to modify it just a tad. I wanted my tags to be soft and natural looking so I went with a 1" twill tape that I found on Etsy for super cheap. It was 5 yards for $1.50.


What you will need:
iron on transfer paper for light colored fabrics
scissors
cotton twill tape
paper cutter
iron
computer for creating the label


I used Microsoft Word to resize my labels to 2.5" wide by .75" high and just placed my logo as many times as I could on the paper. It only fit 14 so next time I will probably make them a little smaller because the transfer paper is not super cheap.***Make sure that you reverse or use the mirror option before you print or your labels will be backwards when you iron them on. When you print them they SHOULD be backwards.


Use the paper cutter to cut the transfer paper to fit on your twill tape.


Line the labels face down on the twill tape and follow the manufacturers directions for ironing.


Peel off the backing and Voila! You have labels.

 For this one I frayed the edges and attached it with iron on hem tape. If you do it this way, make sure you put something over the logo because the film will get on your iron from the transfer.


On this one, I folded back the two longs ends and sewed the edges.


Happy label making! Please leave a comment if you have any questions.

Brittney

8 comments:

  1. How do these stand up to washing? What type of printer did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find so many useful info here in the post, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. leather labels uk

      Delete
  2. Hi Janetta, I have an HP 1510 InkJet Printer. I just used the high quality setting when printing They have always washed fine for me with no peeling or fading. I usually use a cold/cold setting when washing. The iron pretty much seals the ink. It's basically like printing on a t-shirt. Thanks for stopping by. Please comment if you have any other questions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to know from what seller on Etsy did you purchase the twill tape? The ones I find in the craft stores by the yard are very thick and would not want to put them on the the dresses and shirts I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason my Etsy "Purchases" is not showing the sellers name so I am not sure if she is no longer is business or what. Here is a link to some that I recommend though: https://www.etsy.com/search/supplies/commercial?q=twill+tape&order=price_asc&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&color=ffffff&page=0

      Good Luck!

      Delete
  4. I looked on many sites but yours by far was the best and easiest. I love the pictures that made it so much easier for me.

    Thanks,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your blog. Its really amazing and very useful to all. i have some similar product. just see here


    Twill Tapes Manufacturers
    Cotton twill tapes Manufacturer


    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.. clothing labels

    ReplyDelete