Thursday, July 18, 2013

Margherita Pizza-Zucchini Style

Two weeks ago I was so very blessed to receive two bags full of beautiful veggies from a friends garden. She gave me an assortment of peppers, zucchini, eggplant, squash and tomatoes. As soon as I got home I washed everything up and started to brainstorm what I was going to make. The first thing that came to mind was an appetizer I had seen on none other than Pinterest for zucchini pizza bites. I am not a pork or beef eater so I modified the toppings and made my very own margherita pizzas.

I used a half of one zucchini, two tomatoes, fresh basil from my garden, pasta sauce of your choice and mozzarella cheese. You can add or remove any toppings to make it suit your taste buds.


Slice the zucchini about 1/4-1/2 thick depending on how think you like your veggies. Add 1-2 tablespoons of pasta sauce and top with 1 tablespoon of cheese per slice.



Add fresh basil and tomatoes followed by a tiny bit more cheese :)


Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes


These were a delicious low calorie treat that took my mind off of the Mellow Mushroom pizza that I had been craving all week. Great as a meal, mid day snack or a party appetizer if served fresh.

Leave a comment if you have any questions. Happy Eating!

Brittney

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful veggies! Was the zucchini a mushy texture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all. Think of it as pasta. There is soft noodles and al dente which is a little more firm. You can cook it just until everything is hot and it will be more firm like an eggplant or a little extra for a nice soft texture. Mine was no mushy at all though.

    ReplyDelete