Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Flourless Avocado Brownies


Growing up in California I was a natural born avocado lover. I eat them plain, on eggs, as guacamole, on tacos or a sandwich. The old saying that opposites attract could not have been more true for my love of avocados because my husband hates them. I came across this recipe via the DIY Natural Facebook page and as soon as I saw it I went to my kitchen to make sure I had all of the ingredients.
Dinner was in the oven and I set out all of my ingredients for the brownies. My husband walks into the kitchen as I am mashing the avocado and makes a funny face at the bowl of green mush and then says," I see sugar, you must be making dessert!" I chuckled inside and said yes. He had no idea the bowl of green mush was about to be his dessert.
After we finished dinner he asked about the brownies that were cooling. My husband is serious about dessert. To be on the safe side I told him they were a little different and to eat them with an open mind. I had no idea how avocado tasting they were going to be. His comment was, "these are not some lame Paleo experiment are they?" I know that sounds horrible but we have had a handful of epic fails in the Paleo department. However we have had more positive Paleo experiences that negative. Long story short, we both loved the brownies and you could not taste the slightest hint of avocado. They were warm, moist, fudgy and everything a chocolate brownie should be. Now I just need a recipe to disguise broccoli which I happen to love and he happens to hate.

 Here is a picture of one of the epic fails, but I choose not to share those recipes:) They were suppose to be coconut/almond flour cookies and they completely went flat and were hard as a rock. That cookie sheet was super fun to clean......not!
Ingredients
1 avocado 
1/4 cup melted butter (I always bake with salted butter)
1/4 cup creamy nut butter (I used peanut)
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
Instructions
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8x11 pan with all natural cooking spray
Mash your avocado until it is a cream consistency
Add your nut butter, melted butter, egg, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla. Stir.
Add your cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Stir until all ingredients are mixed.
Pour into pan, bake
Cook for 30-35 minutes or until your toothpick comes out clean







I hope you enjoy these as much as we did. We stored them in the refrigerator because I was not sure if the avocado would start to make the brownies taste bad from sitting out even though they were cooked.

Brittney

1 comment: